Sunday, August 1, 2010

PHOTO: Strained relations

     I took this photo through a window into the living room of a house we were renting in Arrowhead, California for a family reunion. These two men, relatives, both close to me, were not close to each other and had little in common. In the view I had from outside--of their expressions, their distance from each other, the objects on the table between them, and the reflection of gnarled branches typified for me the guarded and tentative relationship they were feeling their way along. So "strained relations" in three senses: wary relationship between two people, wary relationship between people related to each other, and relationship strained through reflections of branches.
     The above copy is actually flipped. Jerry digitalized the slide for me and he accidentally copied it backwards but I think I like the composition better than the original. It also has cooler colors, which is appropriate to the mood I was trying to catch. Here is the original:
 

No comments: