Monday, July 12, 2010

LIFE SONG: Disposable Society

[Man singing briskly and arrogantly;
last two lines spoken slowly and with regret,
rather than sung?]

Disposable society: life is great
I've got it all on a paper plate.
Crush it, dump it, let it be--

Irresponsibility.
Plastic forks and paper gowns,
Burn it up or flush it down.
Biodegradable, life's a blast.
Living loose and living fast.
Love 'em, leave 'em, that's my style.
Abandon everything with a smile.
Syringes made for one-time use,
diapers, towels so profuse,
Colorful bouquets are plastic
So are collars ecclesiastic.
Careless living, that's for me:
Irresponsibility.
Exchange a partner, dump a mate
Discard and eliminate.

Before a life can interfere
Make the baby disappear.
Disposable society; lifestyle cool.
My convenience is the rule.
Everything goes back to dust.
So tear it, toss it, what's the fuss?
If it's in the way, it's out--
That's what life is all about.
If it's old or weak or sick
Kill it off and make it quick.
Keep things pleasant, keep things free--

Or so I thought
'til "it" was me.

Lyrics by Jessica Shaver c)1988

No comments: