Tuesday, July 6, 2010

SONG: Legacy

When I was young
I used to dream
Of who I would become.
Now that I'm grown
I wonder if
that little girl that's me
Would like the woman that she sees
Am I who she dreamed I'd be?

I have a legacy
from the child I used to be.
Do I live up
to what she hoped for me?
I don't want to disappoint
the child I used to be.
Would the child I was
be happy to be me?

Do I reach out in love
to those who hurt
As she longed for me to do?
Or have I pulled inside
Because in growing up
I've been hurt myself?

I have a legacy
from the child I used to be.
Would the me I was
approve of who I am?
I want to be faithful
to the child I used to be
Would the child I was
be happy to be me?

Am I as thoughtful as she hoped.
As kind a friend?
Can people trust me
with their secrets to the end?
Would the me I used to be
Approve of who I am?

I don't want to betray you,
Little girl in me.
I don't want to abandon
your ideals.
I don't want to fail you,
Child I used to be.
Thank you
for believing in me.

No comments: