Sunday, May 22, 2016

ALPHABETABOBICAL LAND: Wraggy Binkle, Harench, Uffix, Quilsch

























    
     The Wraggy Binkle  - The "W" in the Wraggy Binkle's name has two meanings, as all the other letters do also. One meaning is what he is and one what he isn't. He is not wasteful, but wragged. For the "R," he isn't rong, he's right. The "A" means, he's not American, he's Arabian. For one "G," he's not gastly, he's greedy. For the other, he isn't greedy, he's gastly. The "Y" means, he's not yippy, but he is yys. He's like his cousin Braggy Wrinkle, because he does brag. What he doesn't do with the "B" is bounce. For "I," he's very interesting, but not incouraging. The "N" is easy, he's not notty, but is nice. "K" means not Kareful, but Kute. For the "L," he's not lovely, but loveable. Last and least, the "E" means he isn't Edible, but Endable, and this is the end. You know more about the beast than I do.

     The Harench -The first words Prince Davie of Whittlebury spoke in his whole life were, "Me wanta Harentch." (pronounced "Har-ench") So all the nobles got together to see what they could do about this Harench (pronounced "Bubble gum"). No one knew what it was, and no one knew where they could find out. King Edmund, Davie's father, offered 10 thousand kimbs to the person who could find a Harench (pronounced Harumph) for little Davie. After 49 of the 50 wise men had been called in vain, the last was called in. Yeribic, the wise man, suggested, "Fy don't you ask Prince Davie himself?" This was done, and Davie answered, "A Harench isa wed anmal with a boo tail, and gween biad."
     So the nobles were sent all over the world to find a red animal with a blue tail and a green beard. They each came back the next year, none with a beast like the described. Further reports from Davie said this beast had a saddle on his back, curly ears, and five feet. The nobles took another year off, but no Harench could be found. Finally Yeribic asked the prince why he wanted it and how big it was. The answer was, "as big as my hand and to hang on a chain around my neck." So a townsmith made a Harench (pronounced Bubble Gum, remember) as big as Davie's hand, and an artist painted it. And forever afterward, Davie was happy with his Harench and he always wore it on a chain about his neck. All the nobles were happy and everyone was gay, and they all lived happily ever after.

     The Uffix - "Once I was an ending, a beautiful Suffix, and I looked rather like a rabbit. I had an enimy, the Bumph though, and one day he got [cut?] off the top of my ears and the end half of my body, calling me an uffix now. I couldn't walk until my friend, the Bumph, gave me some balloons. He tied them to my waist and held me up so I could walk, but I was always so scared the balloons would pop, I went and told the Bumph, my friend. On the way, I met a crow, who politely pecked the balloons. So I stayed there (I couldn't walk) and cried. Soon my friend the Bumph came by with a large wheel he was using for a hoop. I asked him if he'd let me have it to hold me up for it fit just exactly right, so he nailed it on. I'm very happy now since the Bumph did. . ."

    The Quilsch - One day I was going down the street when I saw an antique shop. I went in to explore, and, among other things I saw a table with the surface like a quilt, with different squares of designs. I bought it and took it home. Then I asked it what its name was. It answered, "The Quilsch."
     "Why." I asked. "Why are there two squares of dark blue-green? And why do each have a dot in them?"
     "Eyes." it said simply. "A guy's gotta see, doesn't he?
     "Yes," I'd noticed that a black square on the bottom row had been opening and shuting like a mouth as he spoke. I said:
     "I suppose the brown square is your nose and the black your mouth?"
     "You yap quite a bit," it said. Then it took the two legs nearest me, kicked me with them like a donkey, and ran out the door.

No comments: