Friday, May 6, 2016

PHOENIX: Childhood artifacts - tiny ivory zoo


     This is just an old beat-up contact lens case. (I switched from glasses to contacts when I was 17.) But it has contained, all these years, a tiny ivory zoo.
     I'm not sure what else to call it and I can't remember for sure where we got it during our travels on the Phoenix although as I am reading through my journals I will undoubtedly come across that information. I think it's Indian--but as there were, even then, Indians (and Chinese) selling their wares everywhere we went, that doesn't narrow it down much.
     Originally the zoo came inside an eensy-teesy round red seed pod. (Maybe I can replace that at Pier I Imports, too.) There were five recognizable carved animals the size of--well, of fleas. Now there are four.







     You can see a lion, an elephant, a camel and a tiger. (Thanks, Jerry, for getting a clear picture of the animals after all my tries came out fuzzy!)

No comments: